Bruce in Alaska

In article ,
"Alfred Bauer" wrote:

I want to install a ssb radio on my aluminium sailing yacht. The person who
installs the radio says that the grounding plate should be welded on the
inside of the hull. The hull is fully painted with anti fouling. He argues
that the high frequency connection to the see water is made through a
capacitor effect, the hull acting as a big capacitor, the water being the
other side and the antifouling in between is the isolator.

I hardly can believe that this works.

Is this true ?

Can this work ?

Has any one experience with SSB grounding on aluminium hulls.

Alfred

Yes, Alfred there is a Santa Clause,
and he does make MF and HF RF Grounding Systems, out of Metal Hulled
Vessels. You don't need a Grounding Plate welded anywhere on your
vessel, just attach the RF Grounding Stud on your Antenna Tuner,
directly to a point inside the hull, via the shortest possible length of
ground strap. Sounds like your installer has been around the waterfront
for a goodly length of time, and is familiar with MF/HF Antenna Systems,
and the RF Gounds to support them. His explination is "Right On", and
there aren't many Real RadioMen left out there on the docks anymore.
Most of the really good ones, are just about Retirement Age now, and
MF/HF Marine Radio is beginning to be a "Lost Art".

Bruce in alaska
--
add a 2 before @