Jere Lull

In article om,
wrote:

The biggest surprise was how little prep there was for Arlene
although all the models have it hitting 200 miles away. I s'pose I
am just paranoid.

No, Momma really IS out to get you (and me). I'm with you.

Second surprise is how many "trashed out" boats there are in the
marina. These boats have rotted sails hanging in tatters, mold and
fungus all over the decks, varnish peeling in sheets, frayed lines.
The owners do not appear to have visited their boats in several years
but the slips cost $225/month. Weird.

Haven't observed that around here, but that's probably because there's a
slip shortage. The trash boats are in the far corners of the yard.

Another observation that is no surprise, smaller boats get used more.
It is obvious from the fouling at the waterlines that boats less than
30' get used far more than the big boats.

No, it's not a surprise. A small boat is less status symbol more
something to enjoy -- regularly.

I was also surprised to see so many smaller boats kept in slips.
There are many 21-23' sailboats that are obviously trailerable but
are kept in slips. Many look as if they are used regularly.

We used to trail the previous boat. Once I got the wife hooked, we
started using the boat more and trailing got old. Once we got a mooring,
we used the boat even more.

Most boats were hooked to shore power and I am not sure why. In 20
yrs I have never had shore power and never needed it so am not sure
why so many people take the chance with potentially bad hookups.
Somebody enlighten me here, why so much shore power?

Too many are clueless. Most are on shore power to keep the batteries up.
A few keep the fridge running.

--
Jere Lull
Xan's Pages: