bb

Default Boat fell off trailer

On Sun, 25 Jan 2004 14:25:17 GMT, jchaplain wrote:

I would have to say that what you have been doing is unsafe, but you
have been lucky enough to get away with it until now.

Well, I think thats pretty much what I admitted to, but thanks for the
echo.

Why would you think that putting thousands of pounds on an inclined
surface without restraint is ok to do?

I would have to say because I was taught that years and years ago by
people I considered knowledgeable in launching trailerable power boats
in our local, because as I have observed literally hundereds of other
folks launching their boats that same way at my local with no
problems, and because there is actually restraint called friction.

Just because it hasn't slid of
before?

Well, yes, that, and because I've never seen or heard of it happening
to anyone else in my boating area.

Someone could get seriously hurt.

Brilliant deduction. That was kinda the reason for my post and I'm
very glad you were able to gleen that titbid of wisdom from it.

It would be the smart thing
to do to keep the safety chain on until you get the transom in the
water.

Uh, yeah, that was kinda the conclusion I had made in my origial post.

Sorry to be so hard on you, but you really need to think about doing
what makes sense rather than what has worked before or worked for
other people.

Oh, I don't mind you being hard on me. I realize there's always a few
folks out there who have a need to feel superior. Have at it.

I see nothing wrong with relying on what has worked before, or works
for other people. The method I described appears to the the norm for
launching boats in my area. When something has worked for me for
years, and appears to work acceptably for others also, I see no real
problem with considering it a viable process.

Now that I've experienced a problem with what was considered the norm,
I'll make changes to my procedures so it doesn't happen again.
Thanks for much for your helpful and condescending input.

bb