Bruce in Alaska

In article et,
"Doug" wrote:

"krj" wrote in message
. ..
Me wrote:
In article ,
krj wrote:

Used my VHF for a 1300 nm contact today.
krj

Can you say "Troposhperic Ducting", with a straight face???

Me

Can you say satellite communications?
krj

Twenty years ago I used a 2 meter ham handheld running 1 watt to talk from
Portland, OR to China...it was via repeaters in the pacific NW intertie and
then commercial (Boeing Aviation?) satellite link from Seattle to China and
back out on a ham repeater. I must admit it surprised me greatly at first,
but then I figured out what was going on.
Troposcatter? Ionized meteor trails? Tropoducting? Aurora bounce? All of the
these can result in long distance VHF marine communications but none last
for long or occur very often.
Tropscatter should remind Bruce in AK of the old White Alice systems up
there.

73
Doug K7ABX

Yep, but those systems can't work today as the fequencies used then, are
in the Cellular Band now. Can you imagine a 40Kw 20 Mhz wide cellular
singals, with 90 Ft parabolic antennas on each end, and this was all
before transistors.

Bruce in alaska
--
add a 2 before @