Larry W4CSC

Would that have been the AN/TRC-80? Shaw AFB used to have one setup across
the runway back in the 70s. BIG microwave dish, pointed at the horizon
only a few feet off the ground. I used to tell the neighbors that thing
was the reason their TV was always tore up.....NOT my ham radio station. I
wasn't the one running MEGAWATTS in the neighborhood....(c; I've tried to
post one to alt.binaries.pictures.sports.ocean but it's been kinda spotty
of late...

73 DE W4CSC

"Doug" wrote in
k.net:

I didn't work on them, just used them for our military communications
off Adak Island in the Aluetian chain of Alaska back in 70-72. One of
the sand crabs (military term for a highly paid civilian) who worked
there was a member of the ham club at the Naval Communications
Station, and he arranged a "techie" tour for us, after all the
security clearance paperwork exchanged hands. I was impressed by the
dummy load cooled by some kind of antifreeze and pumps if my memory is
correct. I was back on Adak in 84-86 and White Alice had been
completely torn down and the old site was a popular "parking spot" for
the local teen agers. Adak is in native Indian hands these days. 73
Doug K7ABX