NOYB

"thunder" wrote in message
On Tue, 07 Jun 2005 19:21:56 +0000, NOYB wrote:

I caught a couple of goliath grouper (fka--"jew fish") and a small gag
grouper on Sunday. They all fought a lot harder than the small guppies
in
this pond.

IIRC, goliath groupers were severely restricted. Are they starting to
make a come back?

Yes. In fact, we probably have more of them in SW Florida than anywhere
else in the World. They are all over the wrecks and artifical reefs...so
much so that they're a nuisance when you're trying to catch other fish for
the cooler.

Have the restrictions been eased?

Not yet. Most down here advocate a limited take/harvest permit. Perhaps
you'll be able to get a tag that allows you one goliath/year. Hopefully it
stays closed to spear fishing though. They're too easy of a target, which
is what decimated the population the first time around.