Date: Wed, 08 Jun 2005 03:14:47 GMT

On 2005-06-06
said:
I had the same problem on my Pearson 303. I was told that the
antenna wire going up the mast had chaffed through and was shorting
out. I replaced the wire and now it works fine. It is the original
radio from 1985 on the boat.

THat was my first thought. Check your feedline and the antenna, make
sure the feedline is good and your antenna system not corroded or
otherwise less than optimum. IF your antenna on the mast with 25
watts can't outperform your portable then you've got a problem
somewhere. I note you didn't say waht kind of antenna you were using
with the portable. However I'd do some real servicing to the antenna
system before I rushed out and bought a new transceiver.

Richard Webb, amateur radio callsign nf5b
active on the Maritime Mobile service network, 14.300 mhz
REplace anything before the @ symbol with elspider for real email

--

agood captain is one who is hoisting his first drink in a
bar when the storm hits.