Bill Tuthill wrote:

Baloney, you can hook anything to a Paragon Pack. It's open.
Don't use the Pelican box attachment, just buy some long straps
of your own. A friend of mine carries his Sotak kayak sideways,
and that's about 100" in circumference, the way he carries it.

Well I'm going by Paragon's own specs, but thanks for the first-hand
confirmation! I even called up NRS but the rep didn't mention that the
attachment-thinggy was more or less optional (though he knew of my
predicament).

Paragon Pack it is! Thanks for the ref, and thanks to all who've
helped me with this. You guys are great! I tried every term I could
think of to google this -- "portage," "bag," "pack," "backpack,"
"inflatable," "kayak"...you get the idea -- and I just couldn't find
anything that seemed right.

Thanks again you guys!!!!