John Fereira

Kayak Bill wrote in
:

C. O. Rhodes wrote:
I want to bag out a canoe with aluminum gunnels and I am thinking of
using marine grade stainless steel rivets. I have some hazy memories
form school that different metals, next to each other can cause
corrosion, especially if there is salt water about. Does anyone know
whether it is OK to use steel rivets in aluminum?

C.

Stainless and aluminum are very similar metals, neither contain more
than trace amounts of carbon, and they won't encourage corrosion when
mated together. There are two groups of stainless steels, 313 series
and 400 series, and any rivets you purchase that state "Stainless"
should work fine. Just don't use plated carbon-based rivets. Even
chrome plating will deteriorate under salt water attack.

btw, I'm new here. Name's Bill, and I'm pleased to meet you.

Welcome to the group Bill. Good first contribution.