rhys

On Thu, 02 Jun 2005 13:27:27 -0400,
wrote:

The problem with the STI system is the size of the battery pack
required for the 144 volt system. It takes up a lot of space and adds
a lot of weight. There are a lot of advantages to their system as
well, especially as was already noted the regeneration under sail
appeals for long passagemaking.

Hopefully as the technology evolves a better and lighter battery
system will be brought online. As a lover of multihulls, the current
battery system takes their system off the table for me.

I can see that with a multihull. My current boat wouldn't enjoy 12
batteries, all that copper and the required charger, either, But
certainly there are passagemakers and full keelers that could have the
batteries low and in return shrink the size of the diesel tanks to
whatever would reasonably cope with the genset's occasional use.

I also anticipate a lot of competition in this area, which I hope will
spur further savings in weight and complexity.

R.