ct kid

On Mon, 30 May 2005 08:57:26 -0400, DSK wrote:

ct kid wrote:
My neighbor (not a Newsgroup reader) has a Marshall (1993) Sandpiper
sailboat. It has a pivoting mast. The physical joint, where the mast
pivots, recently broke.

I have tried innumerable Google searches to see if I could find a
source for that flex joint (not sure of the proper name for the part
that allows the mast to be brought down).

It's called the tabernacle.
Have you contacted Marshall?

http://www.marshallcat.com/

... He is expecting he will need
to buy a completely new mast.

If the foot of the mast is damaged, then yes. It seems likely to me that
unless the mast & tabernacle got *really* twisted all to hell, then the
mast shoudl be fine.

Anyone know of less expensive alternatives.

You mean one that would break more easily? Let me put it this way, if
the original part was barely strong enough, and broke (possibly through
mis-use) then why do you want to replace it with a cheaper (presumably
weaker) part?

... Most appreciative for any
advice.

Thanks to yourself, and others that provided helpful info.

I forgot to mention that the tabernacle (I now know the part name) was
damaged due to "pilot error". He was transporting his trailored
sailboat and "forgot" that a new over-head power line was installed,
since he last transported his boat. When his erect mass hit the power
line, the power line won and his tabernacle fractured. There is no
other physical damage to the mast, merely a clean fracture at the
tabernacle.

I am sure he will find the links and info you, and others provided, to
be most helpful. Myself, it nice to see a Usenet site not composed of
flamers -- when one may have inadvertently violated a group charter.

Thanks to all.

You're welcome, although I'm pretty sure this isn't what you wanted to hear.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King