John H

On Wed, 18 May 2005 18:21:38 -0400, "JimH" wrote:

"John H" wrote in message
.. .
Left Deale, MD, at 6:30, had lines in the water by 7:15, and had the
first fish
at 8:00. Caught this guy about 2 miles north of #83 in 48-50 feet of
water. He
bit a chartreuse parachute running deep (additional 8oz of weight besides
the
tandem lures). After a decent struggle, got him to the boat and managed to
get
him in the net. This one was a 38"er, so landing it by myself turned out
to be
more work than I'd imagined. Luckily there was very little wind, so the
boat
just stayed nicely on course.

Wasted gas around the same area for another couple hours. Lots of marks,
but no
take downs. Talked to a friend out of Breezy Point, and decided to head
south.
Got a couple miles south of #83, and decided to call it a day. Pulled
three
lines in, and went for the last one. Cranked it about 5 times and down she
went!
I'm hoping this is a nice 25"er or so, just to cap a nice day. But, the
line is
leaving the reel much to fast for a 25"er. After another nice fight, I
finally
got this guy in the boat. Turned out to be somewhere between 41 and 42
inches.
Darn! Held him over the side for a minute or two and he took to life
again. I
think he said his name was Fred, so if you catch a 42"er this year, ask
him what
his name is. Tell him PocoLoco says "hi".

Was good talking to Hookin' Up and Jon on the radio. Hope y'all did well.
--
John H

Another nice story John. Nothing better than a day on the boat. And a day
on the boat fishing and filling the cooler with some keepers is the icing on
the cake.

I envy you and look forward to the day (4 or so years) when I am also
retired and able to take the boat out for fishing whenever I want to
(walleye fishing is in full swing on Lake Erie).

A smaller boat is indeed in our future.....something I can comfortably take
out on my own. Hopefully that will come before we sell this house and move
to our retirement house on the Huron River. ;-)

Today was only the second time I've gone trolling by myself. The first time was
windy, and when I hooked a fish I forgot about the wind. Got the fish up to the
boat, realized the wind was making the boat do a 180 (with three lines still in
the water), tried to get the fish in the boat quickly (without a net), and lost
the fish.

To this day I think that fish was about 8" - between the eyes. Luckily, today
was nice and calm, although I've since learned a few tricks to make fishing
alone on a windy day a little easier.

Thanks for the reply. You'll get that boat soon, I'm sure of it. Mine is only a
21'er, but big enough for the wife and I and a couple kids, or three people to
comfortably fish.
--
John H