Phil Stanton

Default Connect Raymarine ST60 Multi to laptop

Can anyone help
I have a Raymarine ST60 Multi and want to get NMEA data (Wind & Depth) into
the 9 pin serial port on my laptop. If the laptop is not connected to
anything at all (including power supplies) this works fine. If I connect it
to the boats 12v supply via a cigarette type laptop power supply, or an
inverter using the normal laptop power lead I get nothing.
Equally if I connect the USB port via a Serial to USB lead to the GPS and
AIS input I immediately loose the NMEA input.
I have been told I need to use an optocoupler (optical isolator) and have
bought a 4N25 chip.
Can anyone suggest what the problem is and / or give me a circuit diagram of
how to use this optocoupler

many thanks

Phil