engsol

I've only been caught in 35 knots once, so I make no claim to be an expert.
The course 'demanded' a broad reach., the instructor had a date.

Based on that experience (in a J-37), I'd expect that if one were to fall off,
then roll up the head sail, it'd be broach-city...instantly. It happened to us 6 times.
Why 6 times? It was a sailing class, and the instructor really didn't know
what to do. The next day, ashore, I asked the instructor why we didn't reef
the main. His answer? "Because we would have had to come head to wind"
After each broach, we *were* head to wind.

This thread is of great interest, since I expect to be on the water within a month,
single-handing.

I agree, FWIW, with the poster who suggested that if the wind was forward of the beam,
that pinching up in a gust should work. In my limited experience I've found that there
is a point where the sails lose power, but do not flog...you kinda of 'tease' it.

Will my Yankee 30 (fin keel) heave to? You can bet that'll be tested very early on..
Norm B