David Kemper

wrote in message
oups.com...
Now " Environment people and lock keepers check your boats to make sure
you are BCU members "??? What the hell is that???
Don't tell the CRCA ( Canadian BCU ) about that.
That is an interesting and disturbing concept.

You need to have a licence (in theory anyway) to paddle on the canals and on
some rivers in the UK. These licences are available from the various
managing bodies for each waterway. BCU members get a "free" licence to use
most of these waterways as part of the "benefits" of membership. The licence
supposedly covers one boat and is supposed to be stuck on the boat so it is
visible to anyone who wishes to see it. I have heard that the authorities
get annoyed if they catch you without a licence. I've never been asked to
show one and I don't stick one on my boat. Not that I would ever paddle
without a licence... Oh no...whistles innocently

If you have more than one boat you should buy more licences. I don't
actually know anyone who does buy extra licences, but that is how it works
in theory. Some people paddle without a licence, and don't belong to the BCU
either, which is very naughty and cannot be recommended. ;-)

When I start racing again I will be forced to rejoin the BCU, and they will
give me a nice new sticker saying I'm a member and can paddle on the canals
etc. I will keep it in my kit bag in the car so that if I get challenged, I
can produce it then. Maybe.

David Kemper
Not a fan of theories.