Allan Bennett

In article , Kim
wrote:
I've got a Prijon touring kayak made of HTP; all surfaces have some kind of
grainy texture and the BCU sticker tends to come off after a while.

(Certain NG trolls will now probably comment 'BCU stickers that don't
stick, typical ...').

....sounds very much like a Trolling statement in itself, to me...

I think it may be 'the boat's fault' for once but it really isn't great
because of lockkeepers and environment agency boat checking for these
things a lot.

Short of duct taping on a laminated thingy, is there any simple way of
prepping / keying the boat surface that has done the trick for others?

Personally, I've had more trouble getting the damn things off than keeping
them in place cue: bishop to actress jokes.

Suggest:

1. Use a heat gun or hair-drier (whatever that is), to get said
'sticker' to conform to the boat surface.

2. (Possibly adjunct to 1) To prevent peeling around the edges, try forming
tramlines with insulation tape and running a line of Polyurethane 40 across
the edge - and removing the tape prior to setting, of course.

3. Scan the sticker, print on to material and display as a flag on a wire
coat-hanger arrangement (endears you to fellow-tourers).

4. Ditto, but print on to T-shirt (can be covered by B/Aid).

5. Laminate the thing and keep inside your boat (retains dignity and
street-cred).

6. Fix it to plastic sheet such as Darvic or similar and attach to boat using
a racing number slot (great because it can be transferred to other boats, and
you are less likely to be stopped as the panjandrums will think you are in a
competition).

7. Use the old trick of claiming the guy behind has all the licences, you are
carrying the beer...

8. Do the right thing and send it back to the 'organisation' that sold it to
you under the Sale of Goods Act on the grounds that it is not fit for the
intended purpose (and could put you in breach of the law / by-laws into the
bargain)...

Having said all of that, you know I don't much approve of announcing any
knowledge of, or association with, such a dysfunctional 'organisation' as the
BCU - nor touring boats made of such naff material.

To finish: as you now have a license to travel along the Thames, beware of
the killer weirs that the BCU has kindly forgotten to warn you about - and if
your BCU sticker has become detached in the stopper, how will they know its
you that just got killed?

Happy Paddling,

Allan Bennett
Not a fan of stick-ups