Dave Baker

On 13 May 2005 17:29:21 -0700, "Pascal" wrote:

In my turn, I have a laptop too, with several othres navigation
softwares but I think that it is a cumbersome thing in my boat, so I am
waiting that Garmin unveils soon the AIS function for my GpsMap276C, or
I will buy the NASA stand alone AIS.

Personally I doubt that you will see AIS for the 276C. Where I live there are
often hundreds of vessels within AIS range, so we are talking a few updates
per second - I don't think the 276C processor could keep up with that.

In fact some dedicated AIS units can't keep up with it! I was on a ship in
Singapore last year & the captain showed me that on his AIS transceiver (Saab
I think), if he expanded the scale to 25nm the whole transceiver would reboot
as it tried to draw all the vessels in range & crashed.

Dave

The email address used for sending these postings is not valid.
All replies to the group please.