Jeff

" I agree with you 100%. After reading the several information about AIS,
including the already available hardware (cheap AIS receivers) and
softwares (including several very cheap and/or free) I am thinking that
the recently introduced DSC function of the newest Garmin marine gps
models like the Map276C/Map3006/Map3010 will be or are already totally
obsoleted, because AIS is and will be the standard, as it is many more
times usefull. I hope Garmin wakeup fast to change that obsolete DSC
function in a more advanced and usefull AIS function, in these gps
models.

DSC will not be obsolete, it performs a completely different function to
AIS; that of alerting other stations of DISTRESS and calling specific
stations. Routine position reports are not sent by DSC, its name, Digital
selective Calling really says it all.

As far as being obsolete on gps receivers; would you not like the position
of a vessel in distress shown on your electronic chart?

Adding the position of vessels transmitting AIS positions would be a huge
advantage, but really you need both functions.

I doubt if AIS will ever replace DSC for calling distress working, those
functions are not included in the protocol, and the channel occupancy can be
too high for reliable distress working; not to mention that DSC is used not
only on VHF, but MF and HF as well.

Regards
Jeff