Larry W4CSC

Bruce in Alaska wrote in news:bruceg-
:

Radar tells you where the logs and other hazards
are

Note to radar ops....

Radar doesn't see those 40 foot diameter by 20 foot wide wooden cable reels
floating around the Atlantic, like the one that floated by during
breakfast-in-the-cockpit. As it floated by I started trying to track it on
a Raymarine 2KW radar with the dome up 25' on a stern mast. NO-GO! Not a
single return from 100' away from the boat out to a mile....NADA.

The radar was working because I could see a bouy about 3 miles away....

Wooden boxes and reels sent to sea on ships need to have FOIL stapled to
them as a safety measure. There was no cable on the reel...just the wooden
reel.

I shudder to think what would have happened if we'd hit that damned thing
the night before in pitch black at 8 knots pitching in the waves.....