Jack Erbes

Jsp wrote:

I saw one on the site mentioned above that provides one RS232 serial
interface. So I presume this also makes the OS and the chartplotting
program "think" the computer now has a COM-port, which is needed for the
setup of the connection with the GPS?

A Windows OS will Plug & Play the serial to USB adapter. You may need
to provide a driver the first time, that is normally supplied on a CD
with the adapter.

If you need to know the COM port number, you can then find that listed
in the Device Manager under COM and LPT ports. The port will usually be
identified with the adapter or maybe the IC that does the A/D conversion.

Jack

--
Jack Erbes in Ellsworth, Maine, USA - jackerbes at adelphia dot net
(also receiving email at jacker at midmaine.com)