Doug Dotson

Since Ch 06 is a safety channel, you generally get chased off pretty
quickly if engaging in idle chitchat. We used to use Ch 6 while traveling
in a group and one of our group is retired CG.

"Rodney Myrvaagnes" wrote in message
On Thu, 5 May 2005 10:01:06 -0400, "Glenn Ashmore"
wrote:

"Rodney Myrvaagnes" wrote

Yes, or just a 12-Volt DC supply. Look at the radios in marina dock
offices. They are standard fixed mount marine radios.

Marinas, radio repair shops and other businesses engaged in servicing
boats
on the water can apply for a land based marine VHF station license but
individuals can't. It is illegal for a private individual to transmit on
marine VHF frequencies while ashore, period. The penalties are pretty
serious and as with the self appointed newsgroup police we have recently
been infected with here, there are plenty of self appointed airways police
out there just itching to turn you in.

I was not engaged in legal advice, just practical.

But I wonder just how many people are sitting listening to all
channels in Northern Minnesota, just hoping to hear a violation? And,
on hearing some heinous act, such as speaking French, calling the
nearest USCG station hoping they will send a helicopter to chase down
the culprit?

I have overheard some hilarious conversations on Channel 06 within
range of Station Jonesport. Often it sounded as if a fisherman's wife
was calling him from home about some household matter. If they had
used 16 the CG would have told them to take it to a working frequency,
but on 06 they wouldn't hear it ordinarily, nor care if they did.

But of course, I had no way of knowing where the actual transmission
took place.

I have also heard fishermen in New Hampshire waters conversing in
French on a [shudder] international channel. The unspeakable crimes
that go unpunished every day!!

Rodney Myrvaagnes J36 Gjo/a

The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the
simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.
- Richard Dawkins, "Viruses of the Mind"