Buster

Default Outboard revs up then dies

Wierd thing happened this weekend.

We had been running for quite a long time on the lake. We had probably been
cruising along for about 3 hours, with a couple of stops. I had started out
with a full tank of gas.

At about 3/4 of a tank, the motor did a weird thing. We were running at WOT
at about 4200 rpm when it suddenly had more power, went to about 4400rpm for
a second or two, then the engine slowly died.

It tried to start a couple of times. It'd idle, but when the throttle was
pushed forward it'd die.

The motor wasn't hot.

We ate lunch for about 20 minutes. Started the engine back up and cruised
towards the marina. It died again in the same manner.

Replaced the fuel filter at the Marina, but the problem came back later in
the day. The fuel filter we replaced looked fine, but it was the only thing
I could think of trying out there.

Water is pumping through the engine. I installed a new impeller last year.

I rebuilt the fuel pump at the beginning of last season. When I rebuilt the
fuel pump, I checked compression and it was good to great on all cylinders.

Over the winter I drained the fuel tank. I didn't figure on a condensation
problem as this is Arizona. Filled it with a fresh full tank of gas this
year.

We had pumped the bulb when it died. The bulb still had gas in it and would
pump up hard easily. Still wouldn't start.

When I would accelerate, the bulb would go soft but soon harden back up
again.

It's a 1998 Force 75hp 2-stroke.

It happened five times over the course of the weekend. Not at any serious
times luckily.

Any ideas what might be causing this?

TIA,

Buster