Jonathan Ganz

In article ,
Denis Marier wrote:
Heaving-to during a sudden strong gust of wind that struck you by surprise
is questionable. Heaving-to in steady and gradual strong wind has help.
Has anyone had practical experience in heaving to in strong Squalls where
the wind velocity may reach, at time, over 50 kits. In a Squall the
velocity of the wind does not build up it hit you full strength. I picture
myself opening a door and then be struck by a squall without any warning!
The impact is strong and may damage the rigging. Once the boat is knock
down at 90 degrees the sails do not offer any more wind resistance and the
rudder become non operational. The idea is to minimize the wind resistance
so the sudden impact does not produce a 360 degree knock down. In either
case safety harness shall be worn. The other thing to consider is to make
sure that you have a wide enough berth to maneuver.
"JG" wrote in message
I've never had any trouble heaving-to on fin keel boats.. rarely sail on
others. In fact, even the small Holders with retractable keels will heave
to. Why do you say that? They may not be hove to with as much stability as
other keel boats, but it usually works sufficiently for a squal. I've

never
heard any reports that say they wouldn't do ok in offshore, high wind/wave
conditions either.

I don't think a sudden gust is really a big deal. Clearly, one should
just ease the sheets or release the traveller, and the gust will past,
but if there is a general building of wind, then heaving to is and
does work. I've done it in wind over 30 kts in order to calm things
and reef.

Example, coming out the gate, we found sudden 30kts wind with higher
gusts and 10 foot waves. We hove to, settled things down, reefed, and
went on our way. No big deal.

I guess I'm wondering how one would not see a squall of that magnitude
coming. Obviously, one would not want to heave to in a crowded spot.

--
Jonathan Ganz (j gan z @ $ail no w.c=o=m)
http://www.sailnow.com