JG

"Rosalie B." wrote in message
Flying Tadpole wrote:

wrote:
I was recently sailing in a 38' sloop rigged cruiser. Both the jib and
the main are the furling type.

I was caught off guard by a sudden 35 kt gust than pinned the sails
down hard. I fought to turn into the wind so that I can furl the

We have three roller furling sails (cutter rig). I would not regard
35 kts as a dangerous situation, especially if it is just a gust but
we have a bigger heavier boat than you probably do. Uncomfortable
certainly.

We might heave to, but fin keeled boats don't heave to very well. You
need to practice this a bit to see if you can do it. We can, but we
have a modified full keel.

I agree that you ought to turn on the engine to help maneuver the boat
into the wind. Keep in mind that it is just as effective to go dead
downwind as this also takes the pressure off everyone. IME, this is
easier to accomplish than to go into the wind. It depends on how
restricted you were in ability to maneuver.

sails, but this was a real struggle, as the wind kept pushing the boat
out of irons and over on it's side. Unfortunately, the sails were not
reefed in the first place. Releasing the sheets helped ease the heel
angle, but caused a real mess as all the lines started whipping around
and getting tangled. Eventually, we managed to furl the sails, but it
was a real scare.

Any advice on what would have been the best way to handle that
situation?

We have all the furling lines led back to the cockpit so that
everything can be handled from there. If you do not, then that is one
step you can take.

Another step is to keep the radio on so that you will get weather
alerts, and keep on eye out for squalls lines. When you see the big
thunderclouds and especially lightening, turn on the engine and start
to roll the sails in before it gets to you.

THis is capsize territory. Was there a reason why you couldn't
bear away for a while to give you time to think? (and eg
blanket part of the foresail with the main which opens other
options). I assume that the wind was a bullet of some sort
given it was totally unexpected, so it would pass quickly, and
that implies close quarters to land, but you don't say.

And if really desperate, you could let the sheets go. (which
do you want--a flogged-apart sail or a capsized vessel?)

grandma Rosalie

S/V RosalieAnn, Leonardtown, MD
CSY 44 WO #156
http://home.mindspring.com/~gmbeasley/id1.html

I've never had any trouble heaving-to on fin keel boats.. rarely sail on
others. In fact, even the small Holders with retractable keels will heave
to. Why do you say that? They may not be hove to with as much stability as
other keel boats, but it usually works sufficiently for a squal. I've never
heard any reports that say they wouldn't do ok in offshore, high wind/wave
conditions either.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com