Denis Marier

If caught Off Guard by a Squall - what to do:
the fastest thing is to let the wind go through by letting the sheets go.

I have been knocked down by a sudden gust of wind several times.
The first time I got knocked down it was on a bright sunny day when a down
spout took over and heavy rain took over with very strong wind.

Every time that it happened I noticed some black clouds and down spouts.
I can usually see the wind coming on the water and the rain starting. With
the strength of the wind the only thing I can do is to let the sheets go and
open up the sails until the blow is over. Usually it lasted 2-5 minutes
max. Any other tactics could damage the mast and rigging. Any sudden
movement of the boom or jibbing may cause severe damages.

Now when I noticed sign of any down spouts forming or unusual black clouds
in the horizon the alert is on and all sails are trimmed or pulled down.
Or better, before leaving the harbor, if I see signs of down spouts forming
I adjust the sails accordingly go bare poles or stay in.

"JG" wrote in message
wrote in message
oups.com...
I was recently sailing in a 38' sloop rigged cruiser. Both the jib and
the main are the furling type.

I was caught off guard by a sudden 35 kt gust than pinned the sails
down hard. I fought to turn into the wind so that I can furl the
sails, but this was a real struggle, as the wind kept pushing the boat
out of irons and over on it's side. Unfortunately, the sails were not
reefed in the first place. Releasing the sheets helped ease the heel
angle, but caused a real mess as all the lines started whipping around
and getting tangled. Eventually, we managed to furl the sails, but it
was a real scare.

Any advice on what would have been the best way to handle that
situation?

Thanks,
Bob Bramble

You might want to consider learning how to heave to. It's pretty simple,

and
it will afford you the opportunity to deal with the situation in a calm

and
reasoned manner. Every boat is different when it comes to heaving to. The
basic procedure is to immediately tack from a close hauled position

without
releasing the jib. This backwinds the jib, which slows the boat down.

Then,
you need to ease the main a bit to a lot, depending on the boat. Then,

turn
the tiller toward the mainsheet (or the wheel away from it). This
configuration causes the boat to slowly scull back and forth. You will

have
an opportunity to reef the main every time the pressure comes off it, as

the
jib takes over. After the main is sufficiently reefed, then you can bring
the jib to the other side and start sailing. You could then blanket the

jib
with the main on a deep reach and furl it in.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com