Don W

Larry,

If this is the same account I read, they successfully fended off the pirates
using a 12 guage shotgun and buckshot. One of the pirate boats was rammed
and sunk. Most likely at least two of the pirates were killed outright by
gunfire (12 guage with 00 buck at 20 yard range = probably dead). The engine
on the boat that wasn't sunk was disabled by the same shotgun.

I'd say that this (former navy guy too) cruiser did all right when the ball
went up, even if they did have some bullet marks in the sailboat when everything
was said and done.

Guess they could have taken the long way around the horn of Africa and avoided
all the trouble, but it looks like they were prepared to deal with what the
area was likely to dish out. Also, it sounds like they had steel boats, so
didn't have to worry about bullets whizzing through the plastic.

and FF, I don't think that they were crying about no one coming to their aid.
They were just advising other cruisers in the area not to expect any help from
the friendlies.

Don W.

Larry W4CSC wrote:
"Falky foo" wrote in
om:

my question is: why the **** would anybody go to that part of the
world for any reason whatsoever. It's like taking a tour through
Compton at night and then expecting the cops to run to your aid every
time somebody comes at you down a dark alley. If you have a death
wish and decide to travel through the ********s of the world take big
guns and lots of ammo and don't expect any help when you are
inevitably attacked.

Same reason they go to sea in the teeth of a storm. They're looking for
that adventure and adrenaline rush.....well, until they're seriously
threatened....