Jeff Rigby

"jps" wrote in message
In article ,
says...

The point that seems to fly right over the liberal pointy head
is the following: Liberals use soldiers to further liberal
pacifist ends and dishonor soldiers and their families by
bitching and complaining about conditions the soldiers
themselves accept glady in service to their country.

Whooohoooo, there's a head-up-the-ass statement if I've ever heard one.

Lack of proper vests, lack of properly armored vehicles that don't
protect against roadside bombs???

Having to fight in an urban setting without proper training?

Having to fight for a year in a dubious war when your wife and kids are
at home wondering if you'll return?

Going into debt because you've been shipped overseas to fight in a war
without proper planning or intelligence?

You think these are accepted gladly? What an idiot.

Liberals
have forgotten that liberty comes at the cost of patriotic
lives.Rather than appreciate the brave and loyal men and women
who lay down their lives for the good of all, liberals dishonor
them by counting their deaths and using their sacfifices to
attempt to futher the dishonorable liberal mindset.

Did we need to invade Iraq to maintain our freedom?

ALL valid points. A lesson on our political system. After the collapse of
the Eastern block and the questionable end of the cold war there was talk of
future threats. Since no one could fight us one on one in a conventional
war, terrorism from unaccountable third parties like what we have now seemed
to be the new threat. Nixon realized this might be a possibility and GAVE
the Russians plans for FAIL SAFE nuclear detonation systems so that they
could make their bombs terrorist proof. At the same time our intelligence
network has had samples of nuclear material and spectrographs of detonations
so they could determine where the nuclear material came from if a blast took
place anywhere in the world. Something like we do with explosives now (
trace elements are added to explosives when they are made that fingerprint
them so they can be traced if used illegally).

So we knew that terrorism was the new threat but little money was spent on
intelligence because it wasn't politically a priority. In fact LESS was
spent! The point IS that in our system money is spent after the fact
because while we have smart people they can't get heard. If we are going to
have an after the fact system we need the military more than ever. AND
every once in a while the world needs to be reminded that in addition to
having a nuclear capability that no one can stand up to we also have a
conventional capability that can't be withstood.

Just as people need to be reminded that they are accountable, that there are
laws and limits that will be enforced so do dictators and corporations. (I
added that for the anti big business liberals, they are right about that.)
The UN has recently become a joke where countries that have the worst civil
rights violations are now in control of the committees in the UN that police
violations.

Open societies with a free press and a guarantee of civil liberties are the
answer. Changing Iraq from a dictatorship that caused two regional wars and
hundreds of thousands of deaths to an open society is necessary. SO the
only valid argument is why us?

Did we need to invade Iraq to maintain our freedom? In the short term no
but the answer is more complicated than that. We could have spent billions
a year to contain Iraq instead of the 100 billion or more that it will take
to end Addams threat permanently. Our presence and mission was a continuing
sore point in the region. It could not continue for long before we inflamed
more and more sentiment against us. So our choice was to: 1) continue with
the current suppression missions, 2) Leave and allow another war in the
region or 3) End Saddams reign of terror. Option 3 also means that we would
have to protect Iraq against Syria, Iran and Turkey as well as rebuild the
country so that it could govern and protect itself.

Oh, one other point. These unaccountable third parties that commit
terrorism are harbored and sponsored by countries such as Afghanistan, Iraq,
Iran, Syria and others. Cross Afghanistan and Iraq off the list, with
pressure from us I think we can cross Pakistan off the list (still needs to
be watched).