Gordon Wedman

"Larry W4CSC" wrote in message
"Gordon Wedman" wrote in
news:Rmrge.61526$tg1.47034@edtnps84:

I wish this was true. I have new batteries and my Xantrex / Statpower
20 amp chargers are connected directly to my house and starting
batteries. I still get terrible static on my SSB and shortwave
radios. Nothing on FM fortunately so at least I can listen to music
in the evenings.

This is caused by the RF radiation of the unshielded switching circuits in
the chargers.....not by them actually pulsing a good, clean battery
circuit. They radiate like hell on HF radio, a regular transmitter unto
themselves. The wiring in the plastic boat is their antenna.

You can minimize this radiation by stopping by Radio Shack and buying some
ferrite chokes for the AC and DC cables to run through. RatShack has them
in what's left of their depleted parts department. Get the square-looking
one that opens up to put the cables through and put them as close to the
charger as you can keep them. Looping one turn around them makes them
work
even better.....

The best cure is if you have an old, reliable ferromagnetic or simple
hand-
controlled charger....KEEP IT! They don't radiate any RF signal at all,
even at 40A of load....

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll have a look for those ferrites.

RatShack has them

in what's left of their depleted parts department.

Even worse up here since Intertan lost the rights to use the Radio Shack
name. Went in a store the other day and the shelves were almost bare.