Matt Colie

Roger,
There are several good reasons to set up the battery charger as a "plug-in":
1-If you have a problem with it, the unit is easily removed for repair
or replacement.
2-Codes require a disconnect in sight of any piece of equipment and
unpluging qualifies.
3-Code requirement ends at the outlet.
I usually put a surface mount exterior plastic box local to the charger
mount and have never been disappointed.

Oh - by the by - no one out here on the sweat water (except some yard
people) take corosion lightly. It isn't as bad as it is on the coast,
but what would be a mess in a season there will take about three or fout
here. Stores still sell a lot of 8-18 to people that know. (I bet I
know whick jamoke a the marina hung the exhaust with galvanized strap.)

Matt Colie

Roger Long wrote:
I'm becoming convinced as well as educated. Certainly, the only place
I would connect the charger would be to the other end of big, fat,
short, battery leads. I certainly wouldn't even do that if I had
expensive electronics on board, was living aboard so that there was
significant time with DC loads being drawn while charging, or charging
via a generator.

For our simple boat however, where everything will be off 95% of the
time that it is plugged into shore power, I may still connect at the
switch. I'll see which looks most convenient when I put the charger in
and layout the leads.

The charger I bought has a standard plug. Rebuilding my rudimentary AC
panel so there is a switch for the charger is not in the cards. The
yard suggested putting an outlet box in the engine room (can a place
with no room be called a "room"). I would then have an outlet for a
light or tools as well and could disable the charger when necessary.

I'd appreciate your opinion on that Vs hardwiring.