Phil Lewis

Typically, the chargers are on the disconnect side and not the battery side.
The alternator is on the battery side. there should also be a large fuse
between both and some sytems have a battery isolator too.

"Ken Heaton" wrote in message
"Roger Long" wrote in message
I'm about to install an onboard battery charger.

Is there any reason why the charging leads can not go to the ends of
the battery cables at the selector switch instead of snaking into the
box and being put on the terminals? This would be easier and neater
and minimize the chance of things getting switched at battery change.

Makes sense to me and it removes the connection from the immediate
vicinity
of the batteries and the subsequent opportunity for corrosion from battery
off gassing. Then you just have to keep the battery posts clean. Fuse
them
of course.

When we put the batteries in, the yard made a good point. Switching
one battery end for end so that either the two + or - terminals are
side by side greatly minimizes the chance of a massive short if
something gets across the terminals while the system is on.
Everything should be dead whenever the box cover is off but this is
real life and both boating and aviation are a good place for a belt
and suspenders approach.

Can't see any problem with this either.

Roger Long

--