VK1NF

Another approach is useful if the epoxy is fully cured. In building the
VOLKSKAYAK, we level the tape edges considerably using a sharp blade from a
utility knife - the sort that has a /_____\ shape, as a mini-scraper.
Grasp the two edges between the thumbs and forefingers, and apply firm
downward pressure as you drag it along the raised edge with the blade sloped
slightly back towards you; that is, the cutting edge is furthest from you,
the top edge closest to you. It cuts the bump down very, very quickly, and
avoids the hellish business of sanding out cured epoxy. These blades can be
bought in packages of 5 to 10 in any hardware store.
We then run a skim of epoxy thickened with microballoons along the
edge - let it dry thoroughly (about 10-14 days), and do a final sanding
out. This technique can produce an 'invisible' seam, if you have the
patience to be very neat and tidy with your work.

"Ron Magen" wrote in message
Steve,
The 'raised edges' of the 'tape' {actually a fiberglass cloth ribbon} are
called the 'selvage'. The best way to finish them smooth is to . . .

remove
them !!