Brian D

Interesting approach. I hadn't heard of that before, cutting the selvage
off with a rolling cutter that is. I wonder if you could, at this stage,
further smooth the edge by placing clear plastic over it and rolling with a
smooth hard metal roller? Might save on that pesky filling/sanding
stage(s).

Brian

"Ron Magen" wrote in message
Steve,
The 'raised edges' of the 'tape' {actually a fiberglass cloth ribbon} are
called the 'selvage'. The best way to finish them smooth is to . . .
remove
them !!

After the tape/resin has set-up {not too tacky, but soft - not beyond the
'green stage'} use a 'Carbide Circular Knife' {from OLFA {?}- looks like a
Pizza cutter}or a sharp utility knife, and trim off those edges. You can
also do it a little beyond the 'green' stage, but it's a bit tougher and I
would do it if there would be at least another 'fill coat' of epoxy.

Do it right and it will look like soft butter. A fairing coat will go on
so
smooth you'll only need to 'scuff sand' to get paint adhesion.

"Steve" wrote in message ...
Hi,

I am building a stitch and glue sailing tender for my yacht and kids and
have got to the stage of having the outer seams all nicely taped up and
am ready to start the inside seams and adding the gunnels, center board,
thwarts etc.

I am looking for some tips on what to do about finishing the fibreglass
tape edges.

SNIP