I meant to add a zero to that 4 , 40 dollars would be more like it to
have a cushion made. A yard of vinyl can cost 20 bucks and you would
want some good sun resistent stuff.

Any foam will work, but remember a lot of them suck up water, but even
so if you don't throw it in the water it should survive alright. Take
a piece of foam you want to use and set it on a hard surface and sit
on it. That's the best test.

If memory foam is what I think it is, I don't think it would be the
best. (I'm thinking the stuff that stays squished in a shape for
awhile).

I was just thinking an easier way to do it would be to cut a piece of
1/4 inch plywood slightly smaller than the cooler top and then put a
foam piece on it and let it over lap the ply by a 1/2 inch and then
pattern your material the same size as the foam ( this includes excess
for sewing) and sew a piece of fabric around it and staple it to the
board.

On Thu, 19 May 2005 10:12:48 -0700, "frosty" wrote:

Thanks, Basil (B.A.?) Very helpful and detailed response.

What you describe is a separate cushion for the top of the
cooler; what I've been asking for is upholstery for the top
of the cooler itself. Could have had the former by now,
if I hadn't been asking for the latter. I think your idea is a
better way to go.

I'm guessing that when you wrote "...a cushion like that would
cost you over 4 bucks to have done," you meant "wouldn't,"
correct? (Of course, the word "marine" means "triple the cost,"
so we're talking twelve bucks, now.) I'm going to inquire again,
this time asking for a cushion -- made of vinyl, not marine vinyl.
I don't trusty my sewing skills enough to risk cutting into the only
piece of matching material.

Do you think that "memory" (viscoelastic) foam is a good choice?
I have a nice piece of it that could be used.

My apologies if I got your name wrong.