dazed and confuzzed

Mac wrote:

On Tue, 31 May 2005 11:56:09 -0500, Courtney Thomas wrote:

With objectives of:

1-proper strength
2-avoiding interference with the windlass
3-segment disconnect when desired & avoiding compromising #s 1 & 2

what is the recommended technique for durably connecting two lengths of
same size anchor chain ?

Thank you,

Courtney

I am not aware of anything which accomplishes all of your objectives.

The only thing I will point out is that if your chain is galvanized steel,
your solution must be made of the same thing (unless it is not metal...).

Otherwise you will run into oxidation problems. For example, if you used a
hypothetical stainless steel carabiner to join the two segments, the
stainless steel (SS) would cause the galvanization to quickly be
exhausted, and you would end up with rust near the pristine SS.

Also, if you used two shackles, and seized the pins with SS or monel wire,
you would have the same problem. The shackles and nearby links would
quickly corrode, acting as anodes to the SS or monel.

This is why it is better to use cheap galvanized steel wire. The steel
will not rust until all of the galvanization nearby has worn off, and it
will not accelerate the wearing off of the galvanization on nearby links.

If you find a suitable solution, please post about it. I have hitherto
considered it impossible to join two segments of chain without sacrificing
1, 2, and/or 3.

--Mac

FOrgive my ignorance when asking this, but what is wrong with a standard
galvanized repair link? THe screw link items are as strong as the chain
tha they link (at least to about 85%) and can be purchased made from
galvanized steel. They are VERY close in dimension to the links tha they
are designed to repair.

While they are not as easy to remove as a carabiner, they are removable
with 2 wrenches.

so what am I missing??

--

My diesel truck has been modified to run on an environmentally friendly
mixture of clean burning Caribou fat and whale oil.

Looking for a good fight is not the same as finding one worth having...