DSK

Steve Lusardi wrote:
Doug,
On all the lead keels that I have seen, the bolts are held in the keel by
anchors, because the lead is too soft for threads to hold.

Really? I suppose if you're casting a lead fin around bolts held in
place by some kind armature, maybe you're right.

In my experience, cast lead keels are alloyed with antimony, which makes
it take a thread very well. The place for the keelbolts are drilled &
tapped (using a jig), then the bolts put in.

I have also seen conventional bolts put up through the keel stub via
recesses molded into into the keel, the recesses are then filled with
putty. Then there's the technique (used in a couple of the lower priced
mass-produced boats of the early 1970s) of welding the keelbolts in a
'T' and casting them into the keel. The method you describe is sort of a
variation, I can easily believe it's done but haven't seen it myself.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King