Sal's Dad

"Steven L." wrote:
I was wondering if any of y'all could identify the style and
era of a wooden sailing ship shown on the TV show "Lost"?;

In particular, we'd like to know when a ship of this type
was being built and approximately how long these types of
ships were in use.

I'm hardly an expert, but... 19th century, maybe 18th. The last of the
"working" sailing ships were gone before WWII, a relative handful of
training ships and replicas still exist.

Also, what are the odds that a ship like this would survive
in the condition shown up until 2004 on a tropical island,
factoring in that it's possible that people may have been
using the ship as a home and maintaining it for X number
of years?

The odds are zero. Absolutely no chance the rig would be intact, if
nothing else the spars and rigging would be too valuable in other
applications. It's extremely unlikely the hull would be there at all, even
if they spent millions on maintenance. Never mind in apparently pretty good
shape.

Sal's Dad