Chunky

Default Mercury Outboard Overheating

Yeah I guess you are right, how do I get to the thermostat to check it?

Also is Mercury AF or Metric, in Australia I am used to metric? Dont want to
strip bolt heads.

I will drop the lower leg and chech the pump. One problem I foresee though,
is to get into the small hole above the trim tab to loosen the bolt, it is
damn deep and I am going to need some kind of thin extended socket to get to
it.

Thanks and regards,

"Greg" wrote in message
That is why we all suggest thrwing an impeller at it. If this is new to

you it
should be done anyway, just so you know where you are at but it might be

your
whole problem. I have an example in my garage of a bad impeller that looks
perfect. The hub spins and that was RPM sensitive. It drove me crazy until

just made up my mind to replace it.
A thermostat is also not a bad idea. They are cheap.
One thing you could try is have someone feel the discharge water when it

says
it is hot. If the water is "MacDonalds coffee hot" you are overloading the
cooling system. (not enough water pumped, lean mix etc) If the water is

cool
you probably have a sluggish thermostat. That is not likely if the engine

runs
out good and then fails when you slow down. If it is a morning sickness

problem
the thermostat is suspect.