Capt. Frank Hopkins

Default Coast Guard Auxiliary and Homeland Security One more time.....NO!I DON"T NEED NO %##@%% INSPECTION

One more time.....NO! I DON"T NEED NO %##@%% INSPECTION
1. USCG-A examiners NEVER report the findings of a courtesy inspection
to law enforcement.
2. Inspections are strictly voluntary. The captain is under no
obligation whatsoever to get his / her
vessel inspected.
3. Inspections save lives.
4. Some inspection results.
A. Mechanic had installed automotive carburetor, starter and fuel
pump on marine engine. Skipper declined to have the units replaced
with approved, marine grade units. Results: 2 weeks later, engine
caught fire, damaged boat, adjacent boat and dock. Insurance company
inspectors refused to pay on that basis.

B. Vessel inspected and life vests, flares and other safety equipment
found defective or grossly out of date. Battery cables found frayed and
worn. Battery out of date. 3 months later, boat lost power offshore of
Grand Bahama Island. A thunderstorm begin filling the boat with
rainwater and wave water. Swimmers sighted passing vessel, but flares
would not fire. 1 person drowned when life jacket straps tore off
overnight. Rescue was delayed due to lack of operational flares.
Passing private aircraft sighted Mae Wests in water and notified
Coast Guard.

Every captain worth his or her salt knows a safety inspection is one of
the few FREE help items available to the boating public. It is also one
of the most valuable. The examiner is not there to punish you, but, to
give a trained, certified examination as to the condition of your boat
and its safety equipment. What you do with that information is strictly
up to you. No report is ever given to any agency, government office, or
law enforcement official.

We "Coasties," noticing a lack of sticker, will ask politely if you
would like a safety inspection. Yes. But, we won't force you to save
your own hide by having one. We will always try to fish you out alive,
after your preventable disaster occurs too!

Capt. Frank
www.home.earthlink.net/~aartworks

Mad Dog Dave wrote:

"James W. Sloan" wrote in message link.net...

It's bad enough when the Power Squadron/USCGA types confront you at

every boat ramp and marina for permission to snoop around your boat.

Ok, this has come up twice in this thread...I've been boating all my life
and have never been "confronted" by anyone from the USCGA or US/PS at any
time. I have, on occasion, been approached in a polite and neighborly manner
for boat safety checks. This is absolutley voluntary! In addition to
enhancing everyone's safety, vessels that are found to be properly equipped
get a decal that gives the regular Coasties notice that you're operating a
safe boat...thus decreasing your odds of an on the water stop & check.
Where. pray tell, is the problem in that?

James

I see it not much different than inviting the police into your house
so they can look through your rooms, closets and stuff. Besides the
sticker does not ensure you are operating a safe boat. All it states
is that you have certain minimal equipment on boatd. The operation of
a safe boat is entirely up to the vessel's captain.

No big deal. I just say no when approached. It is annoying when the
same guys ask every other weekend, though.