James W. Sloan

Default Coast Guard Auxiliary and Homeland Security

It's bad enough when the Power Squadron/USCGA types confront you at
every boat ramp and marina for permission to snoop around your boat.

Ok, this has come up twice in this thread...I've been boating all my life
and have never been "confronted" by anyone from the USCGA or US/PS at any
time. I have, on occasion, been approached in a polite and neighborly manner
for boat safety checks. This is absolutley voluntary! In addition to
enhancing everyone's safety, vessels that are found to be properly equipped
get a decal that gives the regular Coasties notice that you're operating a
safe boat...thus decreasing your odds of an on the water stop & check.
Where. pray tell, is the problem in that?

James