Ronald A. Widman

Default Marine Fridge vs. Dorm size fridge & invertor

The marine fridge will run when not level (the boat is rocking), it will
switch from 12v to 120v automatically, it will take the pounding and abuse
that the dorm refrigerator will not take. The built in inverter will run
only when the thermostat is calling for cooling, saving power.

All that being said, a refrigerator draws a lot of power. The one furnished
with my boat will run one battery (also furnished with my boat) down to
where it can't start the engine in about twelve hours. To use the
refrigerator without shore power you really need a bank of deep cycle
batteries as a house system. I am planning on installing such a system, in
the meantime I use the refrigerator to hold a cooler.

Ron

"Michael Sutton" wrote in message
om...
If I want to put a fridge on my boat I can go buy
a 12v Marine fridge for $500 or so.

Why can't I go buy a $100 dorm size fridge from
Walmart/Home-Depot, etc and use a $50 inverter
to power it?

any advice?

I don't understand why items used on boats have
to cost more just because they are 'marine'.

-mike