Lloyd Sumpter

Default Operator's Card: What's a "motor"?

On Thu, 15 Jan 2004 19:53:23 +0000, BinaryBillTheSailo wrote:

On Thu, 15 Jan 2004 19:21:04 GMT, Rick
wrote:

SNIP

An outboard motor is not an engine

Both contain engines.

The people who work with them are Engineers, not Motorers.

Actually, the term "Engineer" comes from the latin "ingenieur", which
is the same root as the work "ingenious" . However, after I looked this
up in my Funk'n'Dictionary, I found that it's also the root for the word
"engine" so you're kinda right after all.

Oh, and most "Engineers" don't work on engines - mechanics do.

Amazing the arkane trivia you learn from reading rec.boats! (Is this
considered "Off-Topic"?)

Lloyd Sumpter, P.Eng.