Doug Kanter

Default Coast Guard Auxiliary and Homeland Security

"swatcop" wrote in message
m...

If the "mentality" exists in other government organizations, it's

somewhat
less meaningful because it doesn't involve human lives. There's always a
place for people who are only comfortable in church committes, where the
blame for mistakes is diffused. But, it has no place in the military.

So basically what you're saying is that you've never served in the

military
and are relying on hearsay from 1 individual to form an opinion about the
entire organization? (No disrespect to your father, he's entitled to his
opinions). Well, I HAVE served in the military in a U.S. Marine infantry
unit. My opinion differs from yours.
--
-= swatcop =-

I believe the word "clusterfu*k" is most often used by ex-military people,
at least based on my experience with the word.

But in all fairness, I come to this discussion with a heavy load of bias.
When something needs to be done and I know I can do it, and someone puts a
list of prerequisite requirements between me and the task, I have a tendency
to check off most of the list very quickly as crap, if it does, in fact, fit
that category. And, I'm very vocal about it, which is why I haven't lasted
long in team-based jobs unless the team consisted of either two, or two.

I will say, however, that I'm far from unusual in that regard. Quite a few
effective people cannot function on a team, including a couple of the best
managers I've worked for. You know the type: "You think it's a good idea,
then just do it. You don't need to ask me. That's why I hired you. We think
alike".

Meanwhile, the committee disease is spread at a young age. Wanna here a
story about a Boy Scout trip from Rochester NY to Hershey PA (285 miles)
that took 11 hours because 3 knuckleheads wanted to drive as a convoy? :-)