John Gaquin

Default Coast Guard Auxiliary and Homeland Security

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message news:8BGNb.1332

If the "mentality" exists in other government organizations, it's somewhat
less meaningful because it doesn't involve human lives. There's always a
place for people who are only comfortable in church committes, where the
blame for mistakes is diffused. But, it has no place in the military.

Oh, I've heard the stories, too, from my Dad, and lived the stories in my
own experience from 70 to 74, but that doesn't alter the fact that it is
simply human nature at work. That's the whole point -- it isn't a "military
mentality", its just human nature. If you shoot up all the ammo, the guy
whose job it is to hump all the ammo has to work all the more. In the
office, if you take a lot of notes, the office supply person has to work
more to keep your area resupplied with spiral notebooks or floppies or
whatever. People entrenched in a bureaucracy almost always try to steer the
activity in such a way as to minimize their workload. That, of course,
conflicts with any number of other people who are trying to get something
done.