Date: Thu, 05 May 2005 13:50:47 GMT

On 2005-05-05
said:
CB it's all according. Sometimes 10 miles can be a push if
you've got the skip rolling good and some loudmouth redneck
yelling "how 'bout it skipland!!!" when you're trying to talk

between you.
Skip isn;t a possability at 10 miles. Groundwave only.

True but the skip can easily overwhelm the ground wave station you're
trying to hear at 10 miles.

without a good gain antenna at both ends chances are good you're
going to be fighting to be heard over the trash.

True, so install a good antenna.

YEs but I'd still suggest something vhf or uhf.

gO marine vhf or gmrs.

GMRS is legal, marine isn't.

YEs there is the problem of the shore station on marine vhf.

YEs both require some licensing, but it's well
worth it in the long run.

License or not, marine is illegal for the proposed situation.

in the market here boys! Who's gonna be
the first to plug it?

HEre in the states we've got the new Murs service on vhf. DOn't know
how that would do you for a 10 mile range but with a decent antenna on
both ends it might work. YOu could probably use your same marine vhf
antenna for the murs frequencies.
YEs indeed a hole in the market, but I wouldn't ever want to depend on
cb for anything except maybe running up and down the highway and
communicating with the vehicles within a mile or two of me. Have seen
times when to get ten mile range I had to put a little more fire in
the wire than the legal 5 watts.

Richard Webb, amateur radio callsign nf5b
active on the Maritime Mobile service network, 14.300 mhz
REplace anything before the @ symbol with elspider for real email