Del Cecchi

"Dennis Pogson" wrote in message
Doug Dotson wrote:
wrote in message

On 2005-05-04 said:
There is a news group of sometime questionable protocols
that might be willing to help you determine whether CB radio
would work for you. It is rec.radio.cb. Give it a try.
Good luck

Nah I wouldn't suggest using cb for anything, maybe cb'ers for target
practice. HEre's why. THe original poster says:
Del Cecchi wrote:
I am looking for a way to communicate from boat to my spouse on
shore over distances of less than 10 miles. This is due to
some medical issues I have.
I have looked at VHF radios, but there seem to be few that plug
into 110 for cabin use. I could just go with a couple of hand
helds if that would have the range. Does anyone have experience
with the range of VHF Handhelds?
Any suggestions for a unit for the Cabin? Or do I just get a
boat unit, a battery and a charger?
NO cell phone coverage in the area, get a regular marine unit for the
cabin, forget the charger unless you want battery backup. Even then
get a 12 volt dc power supply to power the radio and/or float charge
your battery so that you have the radio powered even if the cabin
loses electrical power from mains service. YOu can install a decent
antenna on the roof of the cabin or somewhere else and have 10 miles
or so easy.

And the fact that there is a big fine if you get caught isn;t a
factor?

CB it's all according. Sometimes 10 miles can be a push if you've
got the skip rolling good and some loudmouth redneck yelling "how
'bout it skipland!!!" when you're trying to talk between you.

Skip isn;t a possability at 10 miles. Groundwave only.

AT ten miles
without a good gain antenna at both ends chances are good you're
going to be fighting to be heard over the trash.

True, so install a good antenna.

gO marine vhf or gmrs.

GMRS is legal, marine isn't.

YEs both require some licensing, but it's well
worth it in the long run.

License or not, marine is illegal for the proposed situation.

Ham has the same thing with rigs, not many
vhf/uhf rigs made to run off a/c mains power, so in those cases a
decent power supply to power a mobile and a decent base station
antenna will be better investments than a cb radio for reliability.

Richard Webb, amateur radio callsign nf5b
active on the Maritime Mobile service network, 14.300 mhz
REplace anything before the @ symbol with elspider for real email

Seems like there's a hole in the market here boys! Who's gonna be the
first
to plug it?

Yes, it seems as if there is no solution. VHF is unlawful, GMRS is too
expensive and won't go far enough if I understand correctly, at least
without a elaborate base station. CB is the only hope, and it is reportedly
still overpopulated with obscenity and lunacy. :-(

It is only an 18 foot fishing boat on a lake in northern Minnesota.

del cecchi