Peter Bennett

On 2 May 2005 18:20:06 -0700, wrote:

At the end of my aborted cruise, I left my boat at Cortez Cove Marina
near Bradenton, FL. As my boat is a 28' S2 with a specified length of
8.5 meters which actually comes out to less than 28', I paid
$10/ft/month or $280/month. Now, the marina says THEY have measured it
to be 30' and want to charge me $300/month. Very strange. I wonder if
I leave it there longer will it continue to grow in length and value at
a faster rate than the increased slip fees.
I am halfway inclined to simply bring her back to N. Florida where I
get a slip for less than half that much and I do not have to put up
with such nonsense.

When I changed from a Yamaha 30 sailboat to a Zeta 26 power boat (twin
stern drive), I was surprised to find that the Zeta was a couple of
feet longer than the Yamaha - it wouldn't fit in my old berth!!

The "advertised" length of most boats is the hull length. For
sailboats, this is close to the actual overall length, but the overall
length of power boats can be considerably longer, when you count swim
grid, anchor platform, dinghy behind the swim grid, etc..., and the
marina usually wants to charge for overall length, not advertised
length.

In some locations around here, I have to moor stern-to, so my 28 ft
boat only takes up 11 ft of dock space - they still want to charge me
for the overall length. Even worse, if I have to raft to another 28
ft boat, the marina charges _each_ of us for 28 ft!!

--
Peter Bennett, VE7CEI
peterbb4 (at) interchange.ubc.ca