Mac

On Sun, 01 May 2005 20:53:57 +0000, Adam wrote:

Hi

Thanks for replies to my earlier posting about securing my new fairleads. I
have managed to gain access to underneath the relevant bit of the boat, so I
can hopefully do a proper job viz a vis backing plates. Is it ok to use
stainless nuts and bolt with aluminium - if not, what should I use?

TIA

I think it will be fine. If you use enough sealing compound to keep
moisture from getting through the deck or into the core (if applicable)
out, you will inevitably end up with enough compound on the SS hardware to
electrically insulate it from the aluminum.

In this thread, the process outlined by Rhys seems pretty thorough and
sound to me.

When I have done it, I just went ahead and tightened the hardware down
without waiting for the goo to cure. And I didn't use epoxy the way Rhys
does. If I could do it again, I would probably use something very like
Rhys's procedure.

--Mac