chuck

Sounds like you want to move quickly.

The legal options are amateur radio, citizen's band radio,
and GMRS. Amateur radio and GMRS require licenses, the
latter is obtained for only a fee, the former requires an exam.

You don't say what kind of boat. A high-gain antenna on the
boat and/or high power would probably give you the range you
need with GMRS. It is a UHF system. FRS would probably not
do the trick, as Doug suggested.

Do a web search on GMRS and you'll get all your questions
answered.

There is a news group of sometime questionable protocols
that might be willing to help you determine whether CB radio
would work for you. It is rec.radio.cb. Give it a try.

Good luck

Chuck

Del Cecchi wrote:
I am looking for a way to communicate from boat to my spouse on shore over
distances of less than 10 miles. This is due to some medical issues I
have.

I have looked at VHF radios, but there seem to be few that plug into 110 for
cabin use. I could just go with a couple of hand helds if that would have
the range. Does anyone have experience with the range of VHF Handhelds?

Any suggestions for a unit for the Cabin? Or do I just get a boat unit, a
battery and a charger?

Unfortunately there is no cellphone coverage in the area. At least not with
our carrier.

del cecchi