Roger Derby

The easiest way would be to run it thru the table saw with the blade tilted.
A circular saw with rip guide and tilted blade would be only a little more
awkward. Start with an 8 foot 1x2+, allow 1/8" for kerf and you get both
chines at once.

Lacking either of these saws, use a bevel gauge to guide your hand saw and
cut shallow kerfs at the desired angle, then plane off the intervening wood.
I'd use my electric block plane, but you aren't removing enough wood to make
a hand plane impractical.

For the notch, set the blade of your saw shallow and make multiple cuts, or
use a dado blade.

Roger

http://home.earthlink.net/~derbyrm

"Paul Robson" wrote in message
Hi. I'm getting into boatbuilding ; as a rookie.

I was considering building one of the simple designs - say Herb's
One Sheet Skiff as a sort of trial run. I understand the
instructions etc. fine, but there's one part I don't understand.

In the design he has top and bottom chines (gunwales ?). The top
one is notched and fits over the plywood. The bottom one is angled
at 70 degrees (the sides slope so the boat has a flat bottom) - on about
8' x 1" x 2" strips.

This is fine, but I can't for the life of me see how to do this ! Any
advice
is very much welcome.