James Johnson

On Sun, 1 May 2005 21:13:19 +0200, "Robert Larder"
wrote:

Bolt it. As to "just leave the moving problem to the next owner 20 years
from now", circumstances change- it could be YOU needing to truck the boat
in a couple years time. Regarding strength, you only need so much, assuming
you can bolt adequately- and you can, otherwise the answer would be obvious
and you wouldn`t be asking- you don`t need the potential inconvenience.
What happens if it gets damaged somehow? Would be a hell of a lot easier to
be able to unbolt it and fix it in the shop.
HTH
Bob Larder (who learned in years of maintenance work to make things as easy
as possible to repair).
Glenn Ashmore wrote:
I have finally got the traveler arch fitted perfectly to it's pads

I agree, bolt it on if the strength of the fasteners is adequate, and reinforce
them if they aren't. This isn't something like a hull-deck joint where glassing
has many advantages and few disadvantages. And besides what happens if after a
year of sailing it you come to the conclusion that it really needs some changes?
Bolting it on will make modifications easier.

I've seen lots of things that looked like a good design until I had to use it a
while.

JJ

James Johnson
remove the "dot" from after sail in email address to reply